My mom is wonderful! On the occasion of her birthday, I am reminded of so many happy memories:
- Rollerskating and having picnics in Central Park
- Eating at a Jewish diner near our apartment and ordering blueberry blitzes
- Walking through the Metropolitan Museum of Art with her and looking at mother/daughter images
- Going to ballets, plays and operas together
- Both of us thinking spinach pie is about the best food on earth
- Her teaching me how to write essays, using her skill as a previously-employed english teacher
- Her teaching me about Hegel and other thinkers
- Her taking me to Mexico, Ireland, and on a college tour when I was a teenager
- Her baking us cakes and always having them around (vanilla cakes with chocolate chips that tended to sink to the bottom)
- Her parenting style of never raising her voice and trying so hard to be a safe person for us
She did all this and more as a single mom for many years! Rather incredible achievement.
Thank you, Mom! I love you!